The history of the Plymouth Suburban
Our Plymouth Suburban was bought new from America (assembled in Canada in 1958). At the time Plymouth Suburbans were being used as ambulances. It arrived by ship to Port Nelson and received a big welcome as it entered the back yard at 6 Vanguard Street, Nelson. It was soon joined by a Plymouth Savoy (as a morning car).
The vehicle was taken to Napier for the inside work to convert it into the hearse that it is today. The vehicle has been with the company ever since – 61 years giving good service! In the late 90’s we re-painted and gave it tidy up inside. Four years ago a devastating fire destroyed the workshop shed it was housed in at 5 Sussex Street, Nelson – next door to Marsden House and caused some extensive damage. After some research it was sent to Auckland to be restored.
Today we have back our beloved vehicle that has been supporting families all over the Nelson and Tasman districts (and on occasion Marlborough), carrying their loved ones to their final resting place. It is still a special privilege to drive her on these special occasions.
Francis H Day