Funeral Services tailored to meet your needs
What do I do when a relative dies?
We will advise you what to do when someone dies. From the moment of death, we are able to help you make decisions, as well as be entrusted with all the necessary arrangements. If death occurs at home you should call the doctor and us. If death occurs at a hospital or rest home call us for advice and assistance.
Sometimes, for various reasons, a doctor is unable to determine the cause of death and the Coroner needs to establish the cause of death. In these cases the police act as Coroner’s Agents and employ a funeral director to transport the deceased to a public mortuary. It is still, however the family’s right and responsibility to contact their chosen funeral director to attend to all the other arrangements.
What services do you offer?
We offer a variety of flexible services, options and facilities to ease the family’s time of grieving.
We will take responsibility off your hands – we offer personalised individual care to suit your needs and can help with:
- Planning an appropriate funeral service or cremation at your chosen time and venue including providing a casket, a hearse, suitable premises and appropriate staff
- Liaising with clergy, celebrant, cemetery or crematorium officials
- Organising the music and musician
- Inserting notices in local, national and international newspapers
- Arranging flowers and other tributes
- Organising purchase of a cemetery plot and interment
- Facilitating the purchase of a headstone
- Collating official forms from the doctor or coroner
- Filing of death registration forms
Unique services to Nelson:
- Fully trained staff with NZQA nationally recognised qualifications
- Four generations of family involvement
- A beautiful historic building situated in central Nelson
- A specialist dressing room where family may be involved in preparing their loved one for the funeral service and commitment
- Private rooms where family and friends may pay their last respects to the deceased
- At-home care as an option for those who want their loved one with them until the funeral
- A comprehensive range of caskets, urns and memorial options. Customised caskets are also available
- A lounge for after-funeral functions and a catering service to your requirements
- A Memoriam Book – as a record of the service and the friends attending
- Colour photocopying services for service sheets
- A Bereavement Support Programme – to extend and prolong the care, including grief support
- An annual Service of Remembrance for those who have died during the year
- An avenue of memorial trees with a yearly planting ceremony
- Pre-arranged and prepaid funerals to ensure your wishes are clear and complete
- Nelson’s locally owned funeral service.